By Alan Mikhail
From Morocco to Iran and the Black Sea to the purple, Water on Sand rewrites the heritage of the center East and North Africa from the Little Ice Age to the chilly conflict period. because the first holistic environmental heritage of the zone, it exhibits the intimate connections among peoples and environments and the way those relationships formed political, financial, and social historical past in startling and unexpected methods. approximately all political powers within the quarter dependent their rule at the administration and keep watch over of normal assets, and approximately all contributors have been in consistent communion with the flora and fauna. to know how those a number of histories have been important to the pasts of the center East and North Africa, the chapters during this booklet facts the facility of environmental background to open up new avenues of scholarly inquiry.
Read or Download Water on Sand: Environmental Histories of the Middle East and North Africa PDF
Best environmental studies books
Eventualities are a useful device for studying advanced platforms and realizing attainable results. This moment quantity of the MA sequence explores the consequences of 4 assorted ways for dealing with environment providers within the face of becoming human call for for them:The international Orchestration technique, during which we emphasize fairness, financial development, and public items, reacting to surroundings difficulties once they succeed in severe levels.
Geomorphology of imperative the United States is authored via a scientist with greater than 30 years of local overview examine event in primary American nations, arming scientists with a vintage examine method—a technique most excellent whilst utilized to express geographic areas globally. The medical ideas used for assessing local stories of a space mirror a degree of workmanship that has develop into more challenging to return by way of during the last 3 a long time and underscores the significance of nearby tests of geomorphological beneficial properties.
Geological Controls for fuel Hydrate Formations and Unconventionals tells the tale of unconventional hydrocarbon assets, specially fuel hydrates, tight gasoline, shale fuel, liquid- wealthy shale, and shale oil, to destiny generations. It offers the most up-tp-date learn in unconventionals, protecting structural elements of continental margins and their function in producing hydrocarbons.
- Statistical Applications for Environmental Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Why We Eat, How We Eat: Contemporary Encounters Between Foods and Bodies
- Soil Biota and Ecosystem Development in Post Mining Sites
- The Biodiversity Observation Network in the Asia-Pacific Region: Toward Further Development of Monitoring
Extra info for Water on Sand: Environmental Histories of the Middle East and North Africa
62. On the Celali revolts, see Karen Barkey, Bandits and Bureaucrats: The Ottoman Route to State Centralization (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1994); William Griswold, The Great Anatolian Rebellion, 1000–1020/1591–1611 (Berlin: Klaus Schwarz Verlag, 1983). 63. White, Climate of Rebellion. 64. Edmund Burke III, “The Big Story: Human History, Energy Regimes, and the Environment,” in The Environment and World History, ed. Edmund Burke III and Kenneth Pomeranz (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2009), 35.
Irrigation and Society in Medieval Valencia (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1970). For a comparative study of irrigation techniques in Iran, Egypt, and Spain, see Abigail E. D. , Columbia University, 2011). 19. , Le commerce du café avant l’ère des plantations coloniales: espaces, réseaux, sociétés (XVe-XIXe siècle) (Cairo: Institut français d’archéologie orientale, 2001); William Gervase Clarence-Smith and Steven Topik, The Global Coffee Economy MIDDLE EAST ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY 19 in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, 1500–1989 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003).
19. , Le commerce du café avant l’ère des plantations coloniales: espaces, réseaux, sociétés (XVe-XIXe siècle) (Cairo: Institut français d’archéologie orientale, 2001); William Gervase Clarence-Smith and Steven Topik, The Global Coffee Economy MIDDLE EAST ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY 19 in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, 1500–1989 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003). 20. , “Writing Trans-Saharan History: Methods, Sources and Interpretations Across the African Divide,” Journal of North African Studies 10 (2005): 293–324.
Water on Sand: Environmental Histories of the Middle East and North Africa by Alan Mikhail