By James L. Gelvin, Nile Green
during this quantity, major students of the Islamic global recount the iconic effects those technological, fiscal, social, and cultural revolutions had on Muslim groups from North Africa to South Asia, the Indian Ocean, and China. Drawing on a multiplicity of ways and genres, from commodity heritage to biography to social community conception, the essays in Global Muslims within the Age of Steam and Print provide new and numerous views on a transnational group in an period of world transformation.
Read or Download Global Muslims in the Age of Steam and Print PDF
Best middle east books
Although able to staging fabulous assaults like Sept. 11, jihadist agencies weren't an important strength at the floor once they first turned infamous within the form of al-Qa‘ida on the flip of century. The West’s preliminary successes within the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan weakened their help nonetheless additional.
In 1939 Swiss commute author and journalist Ella okay. Maillart trigger on an epic trip from Geneva to Kabul with fellow author Annemarie Schwarzenbach in a new Ford. because the first eu ladies to go back and forth on my own on Afghanistan’s Northern highway, Maillart and Schwarzenbach had a unprecedented glimpse of existence in Iran and Afghanistan at a time while their borders have been hardly ever crossed through Westerners.
Verify your scholars have entry to the authoritative, in-depth and obtainable content material of this sequence for the IB background degree. This sequence for the IB background degree has taken the readability, accessibility, reliability and in-depth research of our best-selling entry to heritage sequence and tailored it to raised healthy the IB learner's wishes.
- Iraq : a country study
- The politics of national celebrations in the Arab Middle East
- Second Life: A West Bank Memoir
- Rethinking World History: Essays on Europe, Islam and World History (Studies in Comparative World History)
- Technology, Tradition and Survival: Aspects of Material Culture in the Middle East and Central Asia (History and Society in the Islamic World)
Extra resources for Global Muslims in the Age of Steam and Print
Lucas focuses on another commodity from the Age of Steam and Print: music. Around the time when the Persian constitutional movement was gaining traction, Qajar court musicians popularized their unique style of musical practice, promoting it through their institutions for education and performance. By doing so, they placed their music at the center of Persia/Iran’s emerging national consciousness. The arrival of the gramophone and music companies from Europe further encouraged these new initiatives by enabling the preservation and sharing of music by Iranian musicians.
11. Ibid. 12. , 1908). 13. See, inter alia, Immanuel Wallerstein, “World Systems Analysis: The Second Phase,” in Unthinking Social Science: The Limits of Nineteenth-Century Paradigms, ed. Wallerstein (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2001), 266–72; Patrick Karl O’Brien, “Intercontinental Trade and the Development of the Third World since the Industrial Revolution,” Journal of World History 8, no. 1 (1997): 75–133; Anthoni Estevadeordal, Brian Frantz, and Alan M. Taylor, “The Rise and Fall of World Trade, 1870–1939,” Quarterly Journal of Economics 118 (2003): 359–407; Kirti N.
SHAT TA R I S R E M E M B E R E D A S NAQ SH BA N D I S , NAQ SH BA N D I S R E M E M B E R E D A S PA D R I S In 1986, Imam Maulana Abdul Manaf Amin, a scholar of Batang Kabung in the Minangkabau Highlands of West Sumatra, completed his Kitab al-Taqwim wa-lSiyam (Book of rectification and fasting). In this work, Abdul Manaf lays out the method for determining the new moon by calculation (hisab) in preference to observation (ruʾya). He could appeal to long local precedent in this respect, though matters had not always been thus.
Global Muslims in the Age of Steam and Print by James L. Gelvin, Nile Green